Is Your To-Do List a Challenge?
What is your To-Do List looking like today? According to a recent study commissioned by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) you are likely to have an average 33 tasks to complete each week. Is this manageable?
According to the survey, about 60% feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of tasks. Sorting finances feature quite strongly but day to day tasks like looking after pets and taking care of the household chores are also on the list.
Two-thirds of the people surveyed feel like they are operating on autopilot, meaning to-do lists left as to-do and a never-ending list of tasks just get added to the bottom while others are there so long they fall off altogether.
Many people are planning to use the long bank holiday weekend to tick things off their job lists. I have to admit, I will be too. My to-do list includes a lot of fun things as well as some household chores. It is really important that you get a balance and remember to schedule some rest and relaxation time.
Here are some simple tips to help get that list sorted.
- Categorise the tasks into Urgent, Important, Waiting on someone else, delegate, decision
- Focus on the urgent ones first. Put them in order of urgency.
- If the task itself feels large and overwhelming then break it down into a series of smaller, manageable tasks.
- Regardless of how long the task takes, do them in the category order.
- The more urgent ones you tick off the better you will feel
- If you are waiting on someone else, go give them a nudge now
- If you can delegate do so
Good luck with your list.